Jan T., a participant in our Block of the Month of the 100 Modern Quilt Blocks from 2013-2014 graciously sent me pictures of her finished quilt. I asked her if I could post them to which she so eloquently replied, “Sure Linda, no problem. I love being part of this inspirational world we make for ourselves.” So well said! And so beautifully executed:
(Click on the pictures to see larger, crisper images.)
Jan used two different settings for her quilt (page 245 for the rainbow layout of the blocks and page 246 for the City Planner setting). Jane Goddard did the quilting using a wool batting and the Circle Play 2 quilting design. The loft of the wool batting made the circles “pop”. On the back of her quilt, Jan used up her leftover scraps to make a fun stripe down the back. The finished size is 104″ square.
In May, I posted a picture of Kate F.’s finished quilt which is currently hanging in the store. Like Jan’s, it uses the rainbow layout of the blocks on page 245, but the setting is Trellis on page 228. Here it is:
This BOM has been very popular in our store, and we are now taking registrations for another round beginning in January 2016. Below are the details if you are interested.
- Each month for 10 months you receive TEN individually packaged block kits – all from one column of the quilt (versus “row” which is horizontal). Each month’s package has candy-box appeal: all blocks are different and each month has a span of different bright colours.
- By the end of the 10 months, you will have 100 different 6″ (6.5″ unfinished) pieced – no applique – blocks which you can sew into any setting you would like. The book features five different settings, of which not all use the 100 blocks. However, you can always enlarge the smaller quilt settings to use all of them (which is what Kate did as seen in the quilt above).
- The “Gridlock” setting featured on the front cover of the book uses all 100 blocks and finishes at 90″ square. We are following the rainbow colouring of this particular quilt. However as the fabrics featured in the book are no longer available for our store to purchase, we are using other colour- and style-appropriate fabrics. Our store can provide you with the huge variety of fabrics needed for this quilt, all matching the colours of the Gridlock quilt. In the first month alone, there are 32 different fabrics used.
- Sashing and border fabrics are not included. These are left up to you to choose, after you have decided on the setting and colours you would like. Of course, we would be happy to help you select appropriate fabrics when you are ready to do so.
- The price for this program is $58.98 for the first month and $29.99 for each of the subsequent nine months. If you already own the book, please let us know when you register, and your first month’s charge will be for the blocks only of $29.99 ($3 per block).
- By signing up for this program, you are committing to the full 10-month program costs. Click Here to find this in our webstore.
Please feel free to call us or email me with any questions you may have.
Thanks again to Kate and Jan for sharing their quilts with us.
Along Came Quilting
6432-1A Street SW
Calgary, AB T2H 0G6
The fine print:
- Click on the picture to find it on the Along Came Quilting webstore.
- Local customers may sign up in the store or on-line at the webstore. Please indicate in the comments section of your order if you will be picking up at the store.
- All prices referred to are in Canadian dollars.
- We happily ship world-wide.